Preparations For Brit:
Permission from your pediatrician:
- Please inform your pediatrician about your plans to have brit performed and obtain verbal permission
- Your son should weigh at lease 2400 grams (5 pounds, 4.5 oz.)
- Baby’s penis must be noted by pediatrician to appear normal
- Bilirubin level should be under 14mgs.
To be certain, Rabbi Doctor Bauman will check the penis prior to the brit
- Please do not nurse or bottle feed your son within two hours prior to the scheduled brit
Please Prepare and Bring to the Brit Ceremony:
- Large and comfortable pillow
- Minimum of three disposable diapers
- Baby wipes (without alcohol; aloe ok)
- Baby bottles (even if nursing)
- Tallit for father of baby and Sandak
- Kippot for men
Kosher wine (red or white) and opener
- Two stationary chairs & table
- Tube of Bacitracin or Neosporin (five or six more will be needed for the week following brit)
- If you desire to use Emla Cream prior to brit, please let Rabbi Doctor Bauman be aware so he may give you proper instruction for its application
- Please choose a setting that will not be too crowded, with a pleasant temperature
- It is good practice to keep your newborn isolated from your guests, whenever possible, before and after brit to reduce his chances of contracting an illness
I will certainly examine your son after the bris-milah ceremony at the same time that I will review with you the following instructions:
Know that cut of the foreskin as well as the glans will be swollen for several weeks. Expect a greenish-yellowish-whitish exudate/scab-like material in this area. Please don’t attempt to ‘pick’ this scab as it is part of the normal healing process.
There will be two snug diapers on your son. (There are NO BANDAGE or STICHES on his penis.) Please leave these two diapers in place for the first four hours after the bris-milah. Thereafter, please change his diapers as needed. During the first 48 hours after the bris-milah, please replace two snug diapers at each changing to ensure pressure to his penis and minimize trauma.
At diaper change clean him gently with wipes or soft towel with warm water and mild soap. Next, please surround/smother your son’s penis thoroughly with Bacitracin/Neosporin. This is done for seven days. This ointment will function both as an antibiotic to prevent infection as well as minimize the diaper sticking to his penis at changing.
Please have his visit the pediatrician or me within a week of his bris-milah. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call